Monday, April 2, 2012

It's Monday! What are you Reading? 4/2/12

It's Monday! What are you Reading? From Picture books to YA is a meme hosted by Jen and Kellee at TeachMentorTexts. Hop on over to their blog to see what others are reading this week!  


This week I read:


The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope

The Trouble with May Amelia

Dead End in Norvelt

I really enjoyed all of these books. I don't know what took me so long to read The Bad Beginning, but now that I have I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I listened to this book on CD and it was narrated by Tim Curry. He did a FANTASTIC job! I think kids would love the voices he gives to each character, especially his very creepy interpretation of Count Olaf. I read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind on WeGiveBooks.org. It was a very inspirational story based on real events. Dead End in Norvelt was narrated by the author, Jack Gantos. This was great because he has a very funny voice and I enjoyed listening to him imitating his more youthful self. The Touble with May Amelia was very good, and I can't wait to get my hands on the original! (To see book trailers for the last two books, click here.)

This week I  will still be working on Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu. I am also going to be starting Divergent by Veronica Roth. A could of friends and I decided to start a mini book club, and this will be our first read. Since reading the Hunger Games series, I am totally into this type of genre now and can't wait to start another highly recommended series. 

What have you been reading lately?



5 comments:

  1. My fifth graders used to love the Lemony Snicket books as read-alouds. I appreciated his play with vocabulary. Fun reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I totally want to listen to the audio for Unfortunate Events! That sounds like fun! I really liked this series and I think he really brought about a change in children's literature. There are so many books now that remind me of his style that he started when he wrote this series. That said, tell me when you get to the end so we can discuss. I don't really get the end.

    Divergent is fun, I was just thinking today whether I would put myself into Dauntless or Erudite...I kind of think I might be able to go into either except I'm not all that insanely smart so maybe Dauntless. It sounds like fun. What about you? The second book in the series is coming out soon. Can I recommend Delirium by Lauren Oliver? The second in that series just came out, too and I finished it over the weekend. So great. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that Divergent is fun, and I'm interested to see where Veronica Roth takes things in the second book, but I think Delirium is a much more worthwhile read. There are a lot of similarities between the two, but Lauren Oliver is such an incredible writer, and she turns her premise into something more than just another YA dystopia.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I haven't read Lemony Snicket in years, but this reminds me that I may want to revisit the series sometime soon. I think the last one I read was The Ersatz Elevator? I have listened to at least one of the audiobooks, and I agree that Tim Curry's narration is top-notch. Definitely check out the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for summer so I will actually have time to read again! :)

    I've got Divergent, Trouble with May Amelia, and Delirium on my TBR list along with probably about 800 more! :)

    Shannon
    http://www.6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete