Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Monday, What are YOU Reading? 2/20/12

Check out what others are reading at Teach Mentor Texts

Happy President's Day!

Since I have started this grad class, my reading life consists of a lot of psychology studies, papers, cases, etc. However, I did get some of my "me" reading in this week, too.

Picture Book(s):

Caldecott Award winner A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka. I really enjoyed this sweet story about a dog and her favorite toy.  

My class started reading Phoebe the Spy this week. Of course, I read it first to plan out my week. I had never read it or used it in my classroom. I enjoyed the story and the historical information. Phoebe is brave and daring, and my students are looking forward to finding out how she is going to save George Washington's life.

I loved The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, and I enjoyed Wonderstruck even more. The way Selznick weaves together two stories (one in words, one in pictures) from two different times is amazing. I won't write about any spoilers, but this book will move and surprise you!

I have to say I was particularly excited about this one as I follow the author, Kate Messner, on Twitter. We have shared several tweet convos and she is incredibly sweet. I can tell from her tweets she loves writing for kids. This book was reminiscent of the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary, which I adored as a child. A friend of mine was looking for a good book gift for her eight year old niece and I promptly suggested Marty McGuire
That's it for this past week. I would make some predictions about the upcoming week, but I am not sure what it will hold, so I guess next week will be a surprise. 

What great books are you reading?


  1. I too love the Selznick books. And thanks for the heads up for Mary McGuire. I know some of Kate's books, but not that one.

  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.