Monday, December 19, 2011

It's Monday...What Are YOU Reading? 12/19/11






Hello again! It's time for another weekly update on my reading life. I am a tad disappointed as I was unable to get my hands on the picture books I so desperately wanted to read this week.

However, I DID finish reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was wonderful! There were a lot of twists and turns that I was not expecting...which is something I really value in a book. The ending has left me wanting more, so I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. I am not sure I would recommend it to my 5th graders, as there are some romantic scenes and a lot of death/gore. However, I would recommend it for students in grade 6-7 and up.



Another book I read this week that I had not planned on was Press Here. It caught my eye when I was shopping at Barnes and Noble. Since I was standing around waiting for my husband, I read it. I enjoyed the simple artwork consisting of primary colored dots, and the clever way it was written. It gives children directions as they read that "cause" something to happen on the next page. For example, at one point it says to tilt the page to the left, and on the next page, all of the colored dots have magically grouped up on the left page. Cute! I think this would be great for teaching children patterns, counting, and relative direction.



I am still on the hunt for my previous picture books, so I am not adding more picture books to my list this week. I am planning on getting a hold of Catching Fire, which is the second book in The Hung Games trilogy.


So...what are YOU reading?

3 comments:

  1. You are just experiencing The Hunger Games? It is such a great journey and I am jealous that you are being able to experience it- if I could experience it again, I would. Enjoy the other two of the trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought the trilogy of The Hunger Games from Scholastic (for only $21 I might add!), and I can't wait to read them over Winter Break!!

    Shannon
    http://extremereadingandwriting.wordpress.com/
    http://6thgradescottforesmanreadingstreetresources.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a lil' blog award for you on teaching fashionista .blogspot.com!
    love your BLOG!

    ReplyDelete